Colleen Symanski, R.N., Certified Diabetes Educator
Colleen works with adult clients who have prediabetes, Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes, PCOS, or had Whipple surgery. Successful self-management involves knowledge about a broad range of topics such as medications, exercise, healthy eating, and coping skills. It’s not easy to gain the necessary knowledge without help. This is where a CDE® comes in.
Benefits of Working with a Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE)
Diabetes is a chronic condition that requires many decisions throughout the day to successfully manage blood sugars and prevent diabetes related health problems. These decisions include:
1. How to eat healthy, when to eat, and how food effects your blood sugar.
2. How to be physically active, how various activities impact blood sugar, and when it’s not safe to exercise.
3. How to check blood sugar and what to do for high or low sugars.
Establish target ranges and spend more time in range.
4. Why and when to take medications. What to do if you miss a dose.
5. How to prepare for emergencies, sick days, and plan for travel.
6. How to reduce complications such as kidney and cardiovascular disease.
7. Ways to cope healthier to reduce stress and effort fatigue.
A physician order is required and Colleen will assist you with that.
Weekend appointments and home visits are available.
We also offer Presentations, In-Services, A Support Group, and Workshops!
"When I was first diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes it was, to say the least, a very big shock and I was quickly overwhelmed with everyone (including my doctors) telling me how to manage it. I was referred to A Healthier Me and I met with Colleen. It was truly the best decision I ever made! Colleen has been very helpful in explaining, in laymen terms, what and how exactly diabetes affects me and my body. It is an ongoing process as diabetes is a complicated disease and affects everyone differently. My doctors have had some difficulty in getting my blood glucose under control and the right medicines for me to take. Colleen has been there every step of the way, even talking with my doctors about my progress and what we are trying to achieve. I would recommend Colleen and A Healthier Me to anyone who seeks and wants better health with diabetes!!"